Google
 

Sunday, July 15, 2007

I turned OKU

I turned OKU (http://www.negarakumalaysia.blogspot.com/)

I’ve been in this state for the past 10 days. Many does not necessarily means good. That’s what happens when my two feet can’t function well and I’ve to use another two “feet” as a supports. It’s not easy to live with something which is outside our norms. Out of a sudden, I become handicapped or we term it as Orang Kurang Upaya (OKU) in Malay. The “fear factor” is Gout. Actually, the disease is with me, on and off, since 2002. Normally, it will get better after 2 days but this time, it last for more than one week, already!.
Gout (also called metabolic arthritis) is a disease due to a congenital disorder of uric acid metabolism. In this condition, monosodium urate or uric acid crystals are deposited on the articular cartilage of joints, tendons and surrounding tissues due to elevated concentrations of uric acid in the blood stream. This provokes an inflammatory reaction of these tissues. These deposits often increase in size and burst through the skin to form sinuses discharging a chalky white material. The classic picture is of excruciating, sudden, unexpected, burning pain, swelling, redness, warmness and stiffness in the joint. Low-grade fever may also be present. The patient usually suffers from two sources of pain. The crystals inside the joint cause intense pain whenever the affected area is moved. The inflammation of the tissues around the joint also causes the skin to be swollen, tender and sore if it is even slightly touched. For example, a blanket or even the lightest sheet draping over the affected area could cause extreme pain.
(source :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gout)
The purpose of sharing this here is that hopefully, those who are cured from this disease can share their experiences, especially the medicine used. All the while I’ve been taking medicine prescribed by panel doctor. Even the doctor told me that it’s only pain killer. The medicine and the gout itself will eventually lead to other problems like kidney failure if unable to be controlled.
Some friends advised me to turn to homeopathist since their medicines are not chemical based. I've being taking homeopathy medicine for three days now and the result is yet to be seen. They say that homeopathy medicine takes time to cure...
Alhamdulillah, I have great peoples whom still "around" when I can't barely stand and walk! - my mother, my wife, my children and my friends! What I'm going through this time really test myself and those close to me. Really!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear the news and I pray that you get better soon. I am not a doctor but wish to share what I gathered through my conversations with few doctors and those who suffer the same illness.Once the condition has started,the sufferer is liable to attacks for the rest of his life.The is no effective treament at home until the diagnosis is confirmed by a doctor.Doctor may take a blood test to determine levels of urid acid and possibly arrange for X-rays.Anti-infammatory medicines to control acute pain and imflammation in the joints will be prescribed.These should be taken at the start of each attack. Prevention - avoid those foods,drinks or activities that have been found to start attacks.Have "anti-attack" medicines ready and take them as soon as an attack starts. Long-term medicines may be given to keep levels of urid acid down.Attaks tend to get less severe and less frequent as sufferer gets older. Serious complications can be avoided by long-term medication and treatment.Keeping fit,not being overweight,avoid certain foods,drinks plus activities are the orders of the day. Cheers!!!

Anonymous said...

Diharap En. Nazif cepat sembuh...