Google
 

Sunday, June 15, 2008

PhD: How to manage your articles?

PhD : How to manage your articles?
PhD study involves downloading large number of academic articles from online databases such as EBSCOHOST, Proquest Umi, Emerald and Science Direct. When comes to hundreds of articles, effective management of them becomes crucial, Surely, it's frustrating if we have to spend half a day looking for the required article out of many many loose printed articles. Managing softcopy articles is not difficult now because we have Endnote software to help us. What about the printed or the hardcopy articles? I want to share the method that I used and found effective for the purpose. First, I separate the printed articles according to several common themes such as "Management Accounting", "Fit concepts" and "Enterprise Resource Planning". Then, I tape binding articles in each theme together - different "book" has different coloured cover and is labelled accordingly. Of course, each book has its own table of content and dividers for easy reference. Using this method, I no longer have the problem of my kids mistakenly thought that they are recycle papers and use them to make aeroplanes!.


To read other articles in this category, please click "PhD" in the Category section on your right (you may have to scroll down):
  1. PhD_Conference alerts
  2. PhD- What is the hardest part?
  3. PhD-Supervisor!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Salam

tq for sharing the info.

Anonymous said...

You're welcome!

Anonymous said...

binding printed articles could be an effective way of managing the academic literature. however, i think that there will be a problem when we would like to compile new articles. for that matter, i would suggest that we segregate those articles according to the specific theme and then compile them in a file. the table of contents should as well be included for easy searching. just my 2 cents worth

Nazif said...

Yes, agreed! However, based on my experience, compiling in a file gives me another problem - space! I travel a lot - balik kampung, meet my supervisor, outstation, holiday, etc. Normally, in this case, I'm undecided on what articles to bring along. It seemed that all are important and going to be read eventhough sometimes, it end up no reading at all! ha!ha!ha! Hardcover file is bulky. may be, one or two of those files fit into my "brief case". Binding articles are lot more compressed and easy to carry. About the additional articles, we can make another "book" and label as "MA 2" or "MA 3", etc.